In conjunction with the launch of the Taranis House League team competition, we will be launching a new program to develop referees for our unique sport and competition format. One of the struggles with hosting or running competitions within our new and developing sport is the ability to have consistent professional level referees during events. We are hoping to develop a system that allows the referee in our sport to earn some money for their time and to also have more accountability at the officiating and athlete level. We are anticipating challenges in developing this program but believe we have excellent candidates within our community that can rise to the occasion and become leaders in officiating. This is an excellent way to be involved in the fun times that is the competitive side of our training without actually competing if competing feels overwhelming or is not your interest.
WHAT DO WE NEED
- We need people who are confident, and comfortable in a position of authority
- We need people who can be loud when it is warranted
- We need people who aren’t afraid to call a penalty
- We need people with a strong moral fiber
- We need people who are open to constructive criticism
- We need people who are punctual and reliable
- We need you to be able to attend the referee clinic on April 28th, 2019 at 2:00PM
WHAT IS IDEAL (SOME OR ALL OF THESE WOULD BE BENEFICIAL BUT NOT REQUIRED)
- Ideally you will have completed the CrossFit online judges course within the last 3 years
- Ideally you have refereeing experience in any sport
- Ideally you have at least one year of CrossFit experience
- Ideally you have been a member at Taranis and regularly attending classes for at least six months
- Ideally you have competitive experience in our sport at any level
- Ideally you have your CrossFit level 1, 2, or 3
- Ideally you have CrossFit coaching experience
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT
- You can expect support from the oversight committee when needed
- You can expect feedback and performance reviews
- You can expect to be involved in some level of controversy at some point
- You can expect to be paid at least minimum wage for your time (hopefully more but we don’t exactly know the pay structure yet)
We believe this a very exciting opportunity for anyone who is interested in this in-house competition or the sport as a whole. Please don’t feel overwhelmed with the above list and if you are at all interested, sign up and attend the clinic on April 28th, 2019. We are aware that it is not a lot of pay initially but are hoping that this can evolve into something more (even if it only evolves in-house) There is no requirement to continue after the clinic so if you want to learn more about what this is all about, come out and try some things! We will have a tentative schedule for the season done by the clinic date so people know the required time commitment but it can be amended if you decide not to continue so please come out!
Anticipated time for the clinic: 2 hours. The clinic time WILL NOT be paid time.